Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Man's Honor

I was recently told of a fellow golfer who is quite skilled, but is known to be a cheater. He'll nudge things back inbounds, he won't count all of his strokes, he'll do what he has to in order to win. And because of this, he is talked about behind his back. He is laughed at and scoffed.

I want you to know that it is far more important to keep your honor among men than it is to beat them at a game. If men can trust you they will respect you. Your word is a most valuable thing.

If you are anything like your mother and I, you'll have a competitive edge to your personality. I'm sure we'll play many games together over the years, and there will be part of you that wants so desperately to win that you will think about lying, sneaking, cheating. I recommend you don't do it. The win will never feel good to you if you know you went about it the wrong way. It will feel cheap, and it will be cheap.

And don't be fooled into thinking winning is everything. Yes, I want you to try your hardest, to give your best. But I want it to be your honest best.

No comments:

Post a Comment